Australians with a Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP) debt and/or a Trade Support Loans (TSL) debt who are moving overseas for longer than six months need to provide the ATO with their overseas contact details within seven days of leaving the country. This requirement follows recent legislative changes.

ATO Assistant Commissioner Graham Whyte said that affected people can provide the ATO with international contact details using online services (eg an ATO account linked to myGov).

"Don't worry if you don't know your new international residential address yet. Just provide us with your best contact address while you're away, like your parents', and update your contact details when you're settled. The most important thing is that you're still able to receive correspondence from us while you're overseas", Mr Whyte said.

From 1 July 2017, anyone living overseas and earning above the minimum repayment threshold will be required to make loan repayments, just as they would if they were living in Australia.

"We will be in touch closer to the time with more information about how to report income and make loan repayments", Mr Whyte said. "For now, all travellers with a HELP and/or TSL debt need to do is update their details and factor in potentially making repayments from 1 July 2017", he added.

Further information is available on the ATO website at

Source: ATO, "Square away with the ATO before you ship off overseas", 9 February 2016,